Communication is at the heart of modern civilisation. With the advent of artificial intelligence, the ability to communicate effectively with the world will drive all employment opportunities.
With an overriding focus on the future, AURO University has designed cutting-edge Journalism and Mass Communication programmes, which are miles ahead of other journalism and communication schools in the country
AURO’s SJMC has a contemporary course design that is oriented to make the student an excellent communicator, equipping him / her for the top-notch employment globally.
Tomorrow’s major employment, freelance work and media entrepreneurship opportunities will be arising mainly from the domain of digital media, and will lead to newer genres of media like Immersive media – Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality and beyond.
In the past – when Print, TV and Radio reigned the work opportunities – one needed just one or two skills to sail through the career for a lifetime. Like, just the writing skills for a career in print or audio skills for radio or video skills needed for TV.
But today and in future, journalism and communication professionals will need skills beyond generation and curation of the content for a specific media type. Digital media, which has the most local as well as global opportunities today, requires all the combined skills for print, TV and radio along with those necessitated by newer technologies.
The students will also require skills to ideate, execute the idea, generate journalistic content or media product of global relevance and finally, the know-how to sell it in the global marketplace – the digital market.
Integrated & PG Diploma Programs
The SJMC at AURO University is the only institute that stands out amongst all the journalism, media and mass communication education facilities across India. Here is what makes it unique:
- We have an outstanding syllabus, designed with focus on the requirements of tomorrow’s market, retaining the relevant learnings of the past.
- We impart integral skills for communication professionals of the future – Critical Thinking and Ideating, Writing, Public Speaking, Conversations – all coupled with Photography, Audio, Video and Immersive Media (Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality) content creation and editing. We also help develop capabilities for Fact Checking as well as understanding Data Analytics and Artificial Intelligence from media use perspective.
- We have the best team of professionals to teach our students – journalism professionals with decades of work experience in mainstream media brands like, The Times of India, DNA, India Today TV, BBC and more. Also, academically oriented faculty, who have taught in Mumbai and Surat. An adjunct faculty from the University of Sydney, Australia, and many other partner universities. IIT-trained professionals teach immersive media and its skills.
- We are the first media education facility in Gujarat to incorporate a Media Lab that has the facility to learn VR and AR skills for immersive media, in addition to the standard audio and video skills. We will be providing local, regional, national and international internships and training opportunities to our students, depending on their requirements. This will be followed by placement support too.
- We follow blended mode of learning. So in addition to conventional learning we also use VR and AR projects, live media projects, live news gathering and documentary film-making projects, debates and discussions, seminars, interviews and interactions, which constitute core of learning processes.
Mere understanding of journalism, communication and media, even with a veneer of technology, will not give any competitive edge to the professionals of tomorrow. The SJMC, at Auro University is the only institute that stands out amongst all the journalism, media and mass communication education facilities across India. Here is what makes it unique:
We have a cutting edge syllabus, which has been designed keeping focus on the requirements of tomorrow’s market with the essence of the relevant learning from the past.
We impart skills for communication professionals of the future – Critical Thinking and Ideating, Writing, Speaking, Conversations – all coupled with Photography, Audio, Video and Immersive Media content creation and editing. We also help develop capabilities for Fact Checking, Big Data and understanding the use of artificial intelligence in media to name a few.
We have the best team of professionals to teach our students – journalism professionals with decades of work experience in mainstream media brands like, The Times of India, DNA, India Today TV, BBC and more. Also, academically oriented faculty, who have taught in Mumbai and Surat. An adjunct faculty from the University of Sydney, Australia and many other partner universities. IIT-trained professionals teach immersive media and its skills.
We are the first media education facility [in Gujarat or India?] to incorporate a Media lab that has the facility to learn VR and AR skills for immersive media, in addition to the standard audio and video skills. We will be providing local, regional, national and international internship and training opportunities to our students depending on their requirement. This will be followed by placement support.
We follow blended mode of learning, VR and AR projects, live media projects, live news gathering and documentary film-making projects, debates and discussions, seminars, interviews and interactions, which constitute core of teaching and learning processes.
- World-class programme designed for journalism and media careers of tomorrow beyond geographical boundaries.
- Emphasis on skills for creating and editing all types of media – writing, audio, video and VR and AR media
- Programme conducted by experienced media professionals from India and abroad
- Internship, training and placement support
Journalists turn teachers
Like doctors teach at medical colleges, seasoned and established journalists and media persons teach at AURO School of Journalism & Mass Communication. This, along with teaching by academically oriented teachers, gives Auro a holistic edge.
Learn all the skills
Master the use of writing, audio, video, immersive media, illustrations, photography, infographics, public speaking, compering, debates, discussions, social media marketing and so on. Not just the technology as everyone else teaches, but learn the skills to effectively use them with the rapidly changing technology.
Multiple career options
Our programs suit all the communication career pursuits – digital media publishing, social media enterprise, Print and TV journalism, Radio careers and so on. Our programs are great for careers in copywriting for advertisements, documentary and film making, public speaking, communication skills, media entrepreneurship, social media marketing, public relations, media academics, research and so on. AURO’s 1-year BJMC program gives globally competitive communication skills to students planning foreign education and careers in other diverse fields.
‘AURO Media & Immersive Media Lab’
A dedicated media studio for the students, with latest recording, editing and lecturing facilities. It will soon turn into ‘AURO Immersive Media Lab’ as it will be the first such studio to facilitate learning the use of Virtual Reality (VR) – the most exciting media technology.
Internship & Training
AURO University will plan for structured internship, apprenticeship or training for the students in Delhi, Mumbai and Ahmedabad. Our tie-ups with foreign universities will help students get opportunities abroad for internships and training.
At AURO University, the students will also learn the skills to become a media entrepreneur – a very unique discipline keeping in mind the entrepreneurial spirit of the youth. Also this degree will skill the students for practically all communication professions, like Corporate Communications, Public Relations, Copywriting etc.
We will provide placement support to the students by means of referrals, placement fair and much more.
Faculty & Mentors
One of the biggest differentiators of this programme is the experience, exposure, quality, range and network of our faculty. Our syllabus is taught by core faculty, who are practising mainstream media professionals and media academics. Some of the specialised subjects are taught by subject experts who are associated as visiting faculty.
- A Seminar-cum-workshop on Compering and Anchoring by actor and commercial events host Lipi Goyal was organized on 22nd November, 2018.
- A Lecture-cum-Workshop by RJ Aarti of Radio City (earlier Radio Mirchi) was organized on 24th November, 2018.
- The National-award winning film-maker Abhishek Jain conducted a two-day film making workshop on January 30-31.
- Two interactive sessions of RJ Rahil of the Radio Mirchi were arranged in the first semester.
As a part program requirement, the students of SJMC went for the internship – Inter/Action starting from 7-01-19 to 29-01-19. The Internship was divided into five different kinds of engagements. For the Choice-based internship assignment, they were asked to select any one out of the given three options while there were two mandatory assignments.
Choice Based Internship [January 7-10]
1: Artist Village, Saputara
2: Bhasha Research Centre, Chhota Udepur.
3: I G Desai School, Surat
1. Vibrant Gujarat “Youth Connect 2019” [January 11]
2. Gujarat Literature Festival, Baroda [January 16-21]
3. Challenging Precarity” International Seminar at AURO University, Surat on January 27-29, 2019.
- Prof. Kalpesh Chaudhari’s paper ‘Audio-video Translation: For new audience, with new technology’, got published in the UGC approved Multidisciplinary International E-research Journal ‘Research Journey’ with 6.261 Impact Factor ISSN: 2348-7143
- Prof. Kalpesh Chaudhari’s paper titled ‘Potential of Audiovisual Translation as profession’ will be published in the UGC approved and peer reviewed journal
Achievements (Faculty )
- Prof. Shyam Parekh, Prof. Jumana Shah and Prof. Paras Jha jointly organized Gujarat Literature Festival – the biggest literature festival of Gujarat in Baroda from January 18-20, 2019.
- Prof. Kalpesh Chaudhari was invited as a Resource Person for National Seminar – Trends in Translation Study at SSGM College, Kopargaon, Ahmedanagar, Maharashtra from 23-24 January, 2019 where he also read a paper titled ‘Audio-video Translation: For new audience, with new technology’
- Prof. Kalpesh Chaudhari presented a paper titled ‘Media’s role in challenging precarity of indigenous people in India’ in “Challenging Precarity: International Seminar” at AURO University, Surat from January 27-29, 2019
- Prof. Kalpesh Chaudhari presented a paper titled ‘Impact of New Media on Journalistic Writing’ in a National Seminar on ELT organised by the Department of English, Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Surat on February 12, 2019.
- Prof. Kalpesh Chaudhari presented a paper titled ‘Potential of Audiovisual Translation as profession’ in ICBIS 2019 – two-day International Conference on Business, Innovation & Sustainability from March 1-2, 2019.
- Prof. Kalpesh Chaudhari attended a three-day residential Faculty Transformation Program organized by AURO University, Surat on January 4-6, 2019.
- Prof. Kalpesh Chaudhari attended a two-day national seminar on ‘Critical Traditions of India’ organized by Sahitya Akademi in collaboration with AURO
- Dhruv Lad of First Year BA JMC won first prize in the photography competition ‘Shutterbug’ held in Jai Hind College Mumbai in December 2018.